Mom’s Purple-Hull PeasJuly 8, 2022
Servings: 6 Difficulty: Easy
- 1 ½ pounds frozen purple hull peas
- 8 ounces fresh okra (Optional)
- 4 ounces bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the purple hull peas into a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, add okra if using
and boil for 2 minutes, stirring twice.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add the bacon, sugar, baking soda, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and simmer until tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Tags: Bacon, Baking Soda, Okra, Purple Hull Peas, Salt And Pepper, White Sugar, Spring, Summer