Irish Pub Spinach and Artichoke MeltMarch 16, 2022
Servings: 4 melts Difficulty: Easy
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2–3/4 cup milk (I used whole goat milk but whatever you have will be great)
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 2 cups Irish cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- salt + pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach chopped
- 1 ounce jar marinated artichokes chopped, 6.7
- 8 slices sourdough or soda bread
- Dijon mustard or Irish mustard for spreading (optional)
- butter for spreading
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Whisk in flour until it makes a paste. Cook over medium-low heat for another 30 seconds, then slowly pour in 1/2 cup of milk. Stir and cook one minute, if your paste gets too thick splash in more milk. Add cream cheese, cheddar cheese and a pinch of salt + pepper. Stir until the cheeses are melted. Stir in the spinach + artichokes and cook over low heat until the spinach has wilted into the cheese.
- Heat a skillet (or griddle, etc.) over medium-low heat. Butter the outsides of every bread slice. If desired, spread the insides of the bread with mustard and then spread a good amount (anywhere from 1-3 tablespoons) of the spinach and artichoke mixture on the inside (the non-buttered side) of each slice. Add your top piece of bread, buttered-side up.
- Place in the hot skillet and cook until each side is golden and crisp and cheese has melted, about 3-4 minutes per side. Plate, slice and EAT.
Tags: Artichoke Hearts, Butter, Cheddar, Cream Cheese, Mustard, Sourdough, Spinach